Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Enterprise software" - request for info

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Enterprise software" - request for info
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 18:42:41 +0000

Fraser How <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks Lucy and Matthew for your suggestions - will investigate plone.
> As you say Lucy, the integration with MS Office is important for people
> in that world... hmmm, ponderations continue...

What is that integration, exactly?  Is it just a case of editing
documents in a word processor and saving them back?

I have to say I don't understand what Sharepoint does, exactly, other
than cause trouble in my limited experience.  (It's thought to have
been the root for the systems next to Lucy's office becoming a warez
distribution centre recently, for instance.)  Also I recall that it
wasn't accessible to non-Windows (Internet Exploiter?) clients through
the web interface when I was expected to retrieve documents from it.

When it was causing grief at my previous establishment, in a way I
can't recall, I bookmarked things which looked suitable for what
people actually seemed to want to do.  (With the proviso that they
wouldn't do the right thing and use SGML/XML markup with appropriate
tools.)  Here's the relevant bookmarks extract for what it's worth; it
may have irrelevant entries (especially assuming commercial support is
relevant) and some may not actually be free software.  I don't know
why Drupal isn't in there.  I guess some other things I have
bookmarked under `general groupware' might also be relevant as they
typically seem to provide document management.

Bookmarks

document management

Savannah: Project Info - cwriter
Web-based collaborative writer. Its goal is to facilitate working on a document online and collaborating with peers. It includes tools like a calendar, a file repository, user permissions fixed per document, a bookmark database, a search engine, and more. cWriter can also be used as an intranet freeform tool.
Document Repository System
OpenDocMan
web based document management system designed to comply with ISO 17025 and OIE standard for document management. It features fine grained control of access to files, and automated install and upgrades.
Dobrica Pavlinusic&apos;s home page: Document Manager
Nuxeo CPS®
Paper Harbour
..:: KnowledgeTree
Content Management - TYPO3
SimpleDoc - simple web document management system
SourceForge.net: Project Info - UeberProject Management System
SourceForge.net: Project Info - OpenSharePoint Team Service
Document Manager
Welcome to the DocMGR Homepage
Welcome to Bricolage.cc
Content management - Free Software Directory - Free Software Foundation