Re: [Fsuk-manchester] *Not* iplayer - much worse - BBC+ITV+Channel 4

From: Matthew Edmondson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] *Not* iplayer - much worse - BBC+ITV+Channel 4
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:27:07 +0000

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 07:43:58 Matthew Edmondson wrote:
> > "The BBC, ITV and Channel 4 are to launch a joint on-demand service,
> > which will bring together hundreds of hours of television programmes
> > in one place."
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7114694.stm
> >
> > Yes you are thinking what I'm thinking; iplayer is one thing.
> > Propeitry, DRM, Lock-in online TV is another.
> >
> > We *NEED* to act on this.

> > > Fsuk-Manchester is one of the largest groups of Free Software
> > > supporters in the country, what does the message of sitting on our
> > > arses and not doing anything send out?
> >
> > Good point, but I don't have the answer.
> >
> > You decide.
>
> Maybe we should seek the help of M15?

hmm when i checked this later and found it wasnt working. not sure if this was
user error but it worked before i posted

anyway here are two more attempts:-

http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/36202/2004286266994972607_rs.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spooksse3.png

FYI it is a screen shot from the BBC web based game 'Spooks',  I dont know
about the program, I dont have a telly.

What it shows in the game is a Ubuntu Desktop.

It shows a running script with both cmd line and strange graphics o/p
called 'hacklife' that 'hacks' the MI5 server.  hmm. Does this perpetuate the
myth that GNU/Linux is for 'hackers' and academics?  Or just that its easier
to get permission to use Ubuntu Screen shots as part of a game?

After the hacklife script is succesful the head of section D MI5 calls you on
your phone and recruits you.   Inside the MI5 office the computers are
aparently Apple Mac's.

That aside it does show that Ubuntu is used by BBC program/game makers.

--
Matthew Edmondson                                       address@hidden
Consultant                                                      www.M6-IT.org

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office: 4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - address@hidden