Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mcr MS IT schools provision -- [Fwd: Re: [OSA-Memb

From: Iain Roberts
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mcr MS IT schools provision -- [Fwd: Re: [OSA-Members] ZDnet frontpage]
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:31:42 +0000 (GMT)

----- "Nigel Rolland" <address@hidden> wrote:
> FAO Richard Smedley
>
> You wrote on the FSUK Manchester mailing list:
>
> For example, Manchester has just invited Microsoft to create
> its educational vision for ICT - part of the BSF process - without, as
> far
> as I am aware, any consideration of alternatives.  I am considering
> writing to the City Solicitor pointing out that, in the light of the
> adjournment debate, this could be construed as illegal favouring of
> one
> potential tenderer for future business.
>
> From what you have said I also think that this may have breached
> European and
> UK law which requires all public contracts of a certain value to be
> tendered.
> I have taken this matter up with manchester Green Party Councillor
> Vanessa
> Hall.
>
> Can you provide me with a bit more information about this contract and
> any
> examples of  alternatives to Microsoft in the field of education ict,
> so that
> I can draft a letter from Vanessa to the City Solicitor
>
> Thanks
>
> Nigel Rolland

I'm not familiar enough with either the details around this issue or the law to
know whether there's a case to answer here, but I do think it's worth pursuing.

>From a political perspective of getting something done I would consider, in
>addition to writing to the City Solicitor, approaching one of the opposition
>parties.

Iain.

--
Iain Roberts
Axiom Tech

Axiom Tech Ltd is registered in England and Wales at 92 Didsbury Road,
Stockport, SK4 2JL, company no 5684132, VAT no 878 6568 46.  Unless agreed
otherwise, all services and products supplied by Axiom Tech are subject to our
standard terms and conditions, available on request.