[Fsuk-manchester] *Not* iplayer - much worse - BBC+ITV+Channel 4

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] *Not* iplayer - much worse - BBC+ITV+Channel 4
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:37:20 +0000

Within the last few minutes I have been alerted to a news article on
the BBC website not regarding iplayer which everyone knows to be a
pain in the neck, but a potentially even more worrying thing:

"The BBC, ITV and Channel 4 are to launch a joint on-demand service,
which will bring together hundreds of hours of television programmes
in one place."

Yes you are thinking what I'm thinking; iplayer is one thing.
Propeitry, DRM, Lock-in online TV is another.

We *NEED* to act on this.

Or perhaps you are happy to let them role it out on non-free MS/Adobe
DRM available for Windows and possibly a reduced service for OS X &
GNU/Linux

You decide.

--
www.dobo.urandom.co.uk