[Fsuk-manchester] Re: Future FS Manchester Meeting Brainstorm

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: Future FS Manchester Meeting Brainstorm
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:25:07 +0000

On 26/11/2007, Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
> If anyone has any good (Free Software related) ideas it would be great
> to hear a few...

Much as replying to myself makes me look silly:

I have at least two unoriginal ["stolen!"] suggestions.

*Free Software in Politics

 - I know their are both Green Party & Lib Dem enthusiasts on this
list and wonder about the possibilities about getting hold of one (or
more) of their people from either or both (or any other) parties to
come and talk to us about their parties opinions.

- This would of course be a good time to invite *any other* MPs,
Councillors and so forth (in particular those in power), to listen to
what FS is about and the issues surrounding it etc.

*Free Software in Education

- This is my particular bug bear, due to me frequently coming in
contact with software in Education.

- I suggest we and try and get hold of some the developers of Moodle,
(which is probably the most widely used piece of Free Software in
Education as an alternative to WebCT) (www.moodle.org)

- In addition try and raise some of the local developers of IRIS, a
paper-free behaviour and attendance management system (www.iris.ac)
which is Free Software [they link to GNU!]. This is used by several
local schools and it would be quite good to try and build up links to
the project.

- In addition, Parrs Wood Technology College, one of the main
organisations behind IRIS(see above), runs a large number of thin
GNU/Linux clients on it's network, if these reports are to believed:
http://schoolforge.org.uk/index.php/FLOSSIE_2005_Report#Parrs_Wood_School_.E2.80.93_A_pioneer_of_FLOSS
http://schoolforge.org.uk/index.php/Parrs_Wood_Technology_College
(almost certainly outdated information though)
Parrs Wood, traditionally a leading comprehensive in the area, has
just received some bad press over a recent ofstead report and hence I
suggest they would jump at the opportunity to show case their
achievements in an area I suggest ofstead wouldn't understand.

- In basing a meeting, or a series of meetings in Free Software in
Education, we can send out invites to all the schools in Greater
Manchester, many of whom in an on going cost cutting exercise will
send their staff to listen. This could prove a useful way of engaging
the IT tech of the local area into understanding  what Free Software
is about and how they can use it advantageously in their workplace.

Any one else got any ideas?
FS in charities comes to mind...

--
www.dobo.urandom.co.uk