Re: [Fsuk-manchester] How to respond to anti-GNU trolls?

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] How to respond to anti-GNU trolls?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:19:27 +0000

> > Aside from the OS itself, I use (almost) exclusively free software
> > (nearly all GPL) on my Windows machine I don't refer to it as
> > GNU/Windows. Why should I refer to my Ubuntu machine as GNU/Llinux?
> > rather than just Ubuntu or just Linux?

Once again, this assumes that:

 GNU = Desktop tools
 Linux = OS

With this way of thinking, yeah you would call it GNU/Windows.

Unfortunately, that way of thinking is FALSE.

The POSIX standard defines an operating system and GNU + [NAME OF
KERNEL] is is the name of a free implementation.

--
Noah Slater <http://www.bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman