Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester - tomo

From: Matthew Edmondson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester - tomorrow 7pm
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:10:49 +0000

> uhm, the problem I see here is that you are trying to make people
> realize that they are "guilty" of something.
Absolutely.

> I think we should spin it in a more positive way,
Exactly.

> "yeah, but by using/developing FS, you don't just feed
> your kids, you help people in economically disadvantaged areas"
weak IMHO but may be relevant to the individual/group

> or
> "you'll probably find more help to deal with problems"  etc...
hmm I find it hard using "probably".  Having said that, I do talk about
a community of support (and show them how to access it).

I would like some help in generating a list of honest and concrete
benefits that are strong enough to help a decision maker overcome the
fear of moving outside their comfort zone.  The need for such a list of
benefits is the consistant feedback that I am getting over the last
year.

I usually demonstrate/get particpants to use FS.  This often helps
demonstrate that FS is lovely to use and not just for hackers.  However
many of the identifyable benefits are at administrator level.  AS such I
am rarely succesful advocating at manager level if their eyes cloud over
because of non-comprehension or interest.  Though i say it myself I am
pretty good at talking in a non-technical way about technical benefits
and pretty good at demonstrating the technical benefits to admins.

However I guess it comes down to 'TCO'.

Which is why thin client solutions seem to be an easy 'sell' to
managers. Thin client solutions can be much greener and much cheaper and
usually have lower admin/support costs and they get to feel good about
the ethics too.

I will be getting on with pulling together benefits, benefits, benefits.
Any help or ideas appreciated.

TY

--
Matthew Edmondson
address@hidden

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office: 4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - address@hidden