Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester - tomo

From: Matthew Edmondson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester - tomorrow 7pm
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:57:35 +0000

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 14:35 +0000, Matt Lee wrote:
> Interested in free software? Keen to learn more about ethical computing?
> Need a hand sorting your kernel from your operating system? Come along!
>
> Where? MDDA: http://www.manchesterdda.com/directions/
>
> When? 7pm
>
> Who? Matthew Bloch from Bytemark Hosting talks about free software.
>
> How to sign up? http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/Manchester/2007-11-13
>
> Fairtrade tea and coffee available at the event.

hehe i used my "Fair Trade" slide in London for the FSFE gig on
2/11/07 : >

http://freeitup.org/dl/ME_021107.odp

(apologies that its not better published yet)

some of the feedback from a (drunken) NGO participant was that NGO's
already have a great deal of ethical stuff that they have to comply with
so to them Free Software can seem like just another ethical hassle.  I
thought that this was very very useful feedback for FS advocates.

Obviously FS is not like Fair Trade, however I do see a correlation
between people who will consider and act upon the ethical merits of each
idea.

I am however very pleased with the 'memespace' seeding that seems to
have occured with this debate about Fair Trade / Free Software.   One
day on the street I asked a Greenpeace activist (not chugger) whether or
not Greenpeace used FS, he immediately replied (not knowing who or what
I was) by saying, "FS is NOT like Fair Trade - I am a VB programmer, I
have to earn a living for my wife and kids".  tee hee.

: )

have fun

ME

Matthew Edmondson                                       address@hidden
Consultant                                                      www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                                       07807487470

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office: 4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - address@hidden