[Fsuk-manchester] GNU/Linux users of BBC Websites

From: Dave Page
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] GNU/Linux users of BBC Websites
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:06:32 +0000

In a recent article [1], BBC Head of Technology Ashley Highfield has
claimed that the BBC websites at bbc.co.uk only have 400-600 GNU/Linux
users. There's a petition [2] going round to collect signatures from us,
which I expect will get 600 signatures very quickly.

The claim is incredible - if true, it means that my office represents
~10% of the BBC's entire GNU/Linux usage. Either far more GNU/Linux
users are pretending [3] to be on Windows than I would expect, or
Highfield is downplaying the number of GNU/Linux users accessing BBC
services on line, in the same way that he downplays the Defective by
Design [4] protests.

It may make sense for him to do so; the BBC is coming under fire for
spending 130 million pounds of license-fee payers' money on software
which is tied to Windows XP and Microsoft-specific Digital Restrictions
Management [5]. A recent article [6] shows the depth of ties between
Microsoft and Auntie, and the Free the BBC campaign [7] exists to oppose
this.

Please forward the petition link to your local LUG [8], favorite IRC
channel, LiveJournal community etc. and encourage UK GNU/Linux users to
sign, and sign up to the Free the BBC Mailing List [9]. Only when the
BBC provides content in open formats without DRM which can be accessed
from any platform and operating system will we have a fair, free and
equal service.

Dave

[1] http://preview.tinyurl.com/23ojj6
[2] http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/linuxbbc/