Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mcr MS IT schools provision -- [Fwd: Re: [OSA-Memb

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mcr MS IT schools provision -- [Fwd: Re: [OSA-Members] ZDnet frontpage]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 22:27:18 +0100

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 09:01:16PM +0100, Iain Roberts wrote:

> Last year we wrote an Early Day Motion (a petition only MPs can sign) which
> was submitted by John Pugh MP and signed by 130 MPs.  The petition read
>
> "That this House congratulates the Open University and other schools,
> colleges and universities for utilising free and open source software to
> deliver cost-effective educational benefit not just for their own
> institutions but also the wider community; and expresses concern that Becta
> and the Department for Education and Skills, through the use of outdated
> purchasing frameworks, are effectively denying schools the option of
> benefiting from both free and open source software and the value and
> experience small and medium ICT companies could bring to the schools market."
>
> It might be worth seeing if your MP was one of the signatories:
> http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=31752

I contacted my MP, Gerald Kaufmann, about EDM179 and he subsequently
signed it.  It’s worth contacting him again.

I don’t know enough about the current provisioning issue to be able to
even comment on it, let alone formulate a letter.  Can someone give some
links?

Email: address@hidden | Jabber ID: address@hidden
A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved
from a simple system that works. -- John Gaule