Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mcr MS IT schools provision -- [Fwd: Re: [OSA-Memb

From: Iain Roberts
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mcr MS IT schools provision -- [Fwd: Re: [OSA-Members] ZDnet frontpage]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:01:16 +0100 (BST)

As far as policy goes, I don't think any of the main parties (except for the
Greens, if you count them as a main party) have a specific policy on FLOSS.

However,
- For the Tories, George Osborne (Shadow Chancellor and MP for Tatton) has an
interest in Open Source, has contacts in the FLOSS community and has made some
positive noises:
http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=news.story.page&obj_id=135394

- The Lib Dems again have no official policy, but senior Lib Dems have met with
FLOSS advocates and Lib Dem Southport MP John Pugh has been active in promoting
FLOSS:
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/oct2007/gb20071011_019649.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_global+business

- Labour, at least at a senior party level, have shown no interest in FLOSS
than I've been able to find, though I'd love to track down someone who was
interested.  The Government have made some very vague noises and policy
statements about FLOSS over the last few years but they amount to very little.
e.g. http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/documents/oss_policy_version2.pdf sounds good
but has proven to mean little.

Dr. Brian Iddon is a Bolton Labour MP who's shown some sympathy towards FLOSS.

Last year we wrote an Early Day Motion (a petition only MPs can sign) which was
submitted by John Pugh MP and signed by 130 MPs.  The petition read

"That this House congratulates the Open University and other schools, colleges
and universities for utilising free and open source software to deliver
cost-effective educational benefit not just for their own institutions but also
the wider community; and expresses concern that Becta and the Department for
Education and Skills, through the use of outdated purchasing frameworks, are
effectively denying schools the option of benefiting from both free and open
source software and the value and experience small and medium ICT companies
could bring to the schools market."

It might be worth seeing if your MP was one of the signatories:
http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=31752

Iain