Re: [Fsuk-manchester] BBC iplayer - " Digical Restriction Management "

From: Peter Colton
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] BBC iplayer - " Digical Restriction Management "
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 03:15:06 +0100

On Monday 06 August 2007 23:27, Joshua Gay wrote:

        Hello Josh and thanks for time and reply.

> Secondly they must agree to use proprietary software that has access to
> their personal data and personal computer with two way communications
> with a Microsoft built server system.

So say that I have a xp Microsoft machine and I download the BBC iplayer.
This machine must able to run DRM. To run DRM it must  communicate with
Microsoft and which in turn allows Microsoft access to this would be machine.
By choir I can no say NO to this access if I want to use the BBC iplayer.

Say that I am happy with this situation and I start to use the BBC iplayer to
play the BBC on line audio and video media.

DRM on this would be machine and Microsoft communication must be is a
continual thing ?
If I am on line this machine is speaking to Microsoft which in turn allow
Microsoft access to what it wants on this xp machine ?

If I am unhappy with this situation and I disable the DRM some how. I then
will be given the problem that the BBC iplayer with not work ?

Then the situation. I am out on the internet and I find a bit of software that
I like and its free or cheap so I download it and then install this brilliant
software find.

Say this program can copy cd's. So go ahead and purchase it and install it.
Could the situation turn up where I am not allowed to install this program
because Microsoft see it as unfit for some reason ?

Or this peace of free software I found is a cracked copy of a proprietary
program. Could again the DRM and Microsoft relationship stop this goody from
working ?

Sorry if the above is tedious but I trying to get a basic understanding of DRM
from my would be example above.

        Regards

                         peter colton