fsfwww-translators-es-discuss

Re: [FSF] Translating "Commit change"

From: Luis A Morán Morales
Subject: Re: [FSF] Translating "Commit change"
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:40:42 -0400

On 03/07/2013 12:12 PM, Nico Cesar wrote:
I've been talking to Libby and  Zak on this and they mention that on the
translation the "political meaning" should be over any "geeky meaning".
That means commit as in compromiso and not commit as in "git commit
change.txt "

So I propose

  * "Compromiso de cambio"

Hi all,

This is an interesting translation problem. I understood the slogan "Commit change" with the political connotation of "engage in the act of making change(s)". "Commit" may even have an unintended double-meaning of civil disobedience, in light of the Aaron Swartz case.

"Compromiso de cambio" sounds passive/descriptive as opposed to (grammatically speaking) a command phrase/exhortation to engage in/commit an act of political change. This is how it sounds in my head:

compromiso de cambio = commitment (noun) to change (noun)

But that's not the same as:

comprométete a cambiar = commit [yourself to] change (verb)

What do you think?

--
Luis A. Morán Morales
https://identi.ca/lamm