[Fsfe-uk] Buying a GNU+Linux netbook/notebook

From: Jon Grant
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Buying a GNU+Linux netbook/notebook
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 02:26:28 +0000

Hi all,

Am looking for some where to buy a new netbook/notebook for use with
GNU+Linux (current dev machine, Compaq 702EA intel atom is on last
legs)

Found only two shops doing sans-microsoft laptops, linux emporium, and
novatech. All of those on offer are pretty heavy, or netbooks from old
gen intel atom with only 1GB RAM etc.

Looking around, my current short list from regular retailers is:

Samsung X125  11 inch
Asus Eee PC 1215N 12 inch
Asus Eee PC 1201N 12 inch
HP Pavilion dv2-1127ea 12 inch

Reading online sounds like Asus don't bother supporting linux kernel
drivers anymore, so i may avoid them.

Anyone have any tips!? Please reply ASAP if comments, as VAT is going
up so I only have 22 hours left to order!

Cheers, Jon