[Fsfe-uk] Becta - Open Source Schools site

From: Jon Grant
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Becta - Open Source Schools site
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:49:33 +0100

There was a petition on the PMs site which closed a few weeks ago,
when I saw this Becta site it reminded me. So have a look if
interested:

http://opensourceschools.org.uk/

http://news.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=39151&CFID=3708216&CFTOKEN=8b9b4307cfc28e74-0BAF3292-0400-3C8D-35BCDADF798B802F

Support for schools on using open source software

Schools can now get help from a new community website to help them
decide whether open source software might offer benefits for them.

The Open Source Schools website provides resources for schools to find
out about the benefits that open source software can bring to
learning, teaching, engaging pupils and parents, managing information
and resources, and school administration.

Central place is given to a range of case studies about open source
implementation and development in schools. The site also offers
forums, in which heads, teachers, technicians and others can discuss
their experiences of this alternative model of software acquisition,
distribution and development. The site highlights blogs that feature
open source in education, news stories and links to open source
software developers’ websites.

The website is part of a project supported by Becta which aims to
raise the awareness of open source software.