[Fsfe-uk] iPlayer, ITV Player and the other two

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] iPlayer, ITV Player and the other two
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:25:42 +0100 (BST)

So with Educating Ashley having left the BBC, I was hoping things
might get better, but it sounds like things have actually got worse.
ITVPlayer switched from Silverlight to Flash recently and I just
spotted a test/review of playing them with Gnash at
http://www2.apebox.org/wordpress/rants/199/ which includes:

  "We should NEVER be forced to use Proprietary software in order to
  surf the web – yet now we've gone from having access to 25% of the
  UK's streaming TV services via Free Software to 0% of them, and
  people are happy about it."

Yes, I know that there download tools and other ways into some of
the services some of the time for some of the programmes, but how
can we avoid going further backwards and losing even those before
gaining legitimate access to our Public Service Broadcasters?

Disappointed,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software