Re: [Fsfe-uk] Waiver of IP rights for Free Software

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Waiver of IP rights for Free Software
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:49:52 +0100

Chris Croughton <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> I need the company for whom I will be working to sign a waiver of their
> rights in my Free Software development.  There used to be such a thing
> on the FSF site, however the only reference to it I can find is a
> message from RMS saying that he thought it was there but he can't find
> it!
>
> Can anyone point me to such a waiver, or send me a copy? [...]

It's near the end of GPLv2.  See /usr/share/common-licenses or
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html#SEC4

I've no idea whether that is enough for English law.  Generally, I've
got through by deleting zealous "IP rights claims" from employment
contracts and not working for evil companies. ;-)

No equivalent example disclaimer is in GPLv3.  It's not on the URL
that GPLv3 says it is.  This is yet another thing that I tried to tell
FSF before they published GPLv3, but their buggy unfixable "stet" web
application didn't let me and the email went unanswered.  Please
tell RMS that this is another small consequence of GPLv3's ineffective
and incomplete review process.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)