Re: [Fsfe-uk] PM petition to adopt Open Document Format at National Arch

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] PM petition to adopt Open Document Format at National Archives (instead of MS XML)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:04:37 +0100

"Jon Grant" <address@hidden> wrote:
> http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page16957
[...]
> Not surprising that Adam Farquhar, Head of eArchitecture at the
> British Library is maintaining his independence by being co-chair of
> the Microsoft Office OpenXML standards committee. Does he also have a
> job with Microsoft?

Now, now, there's no need to sling mud at British Library people -
they seem to be spending time trying to make money for their
organisation however they can, rather than distributing and sharing
knowledge with British citizens.

However, I also had a copy of that petition response and was in utter
disbelief that it doesn't *once* respond to the suggestion of ODF,
instead discussing PDF!  I've written to my (conservative) MP asking
his views and whether he'll help highlight the non-answer nature of
that response. I'll try to let the list know if I get a good reply.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)