Re: [Fsfe-uk] Symbian reanimates software patent debate

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Symbian reanimates software patent debate
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:45:30 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:
It's somewhat worrying that VNU report it as "Symbian's win could
benefit UK software makers" when there will be N makers hurt for every
one that benefits.  I'll drop a short comment to them.

I don't want to be too conspiratorial about it, but I do think this has been somewhat planned amongst those wishing for software patents - things have gone quiet in this country on that front, and they're trying again while they think they have cover. Not at all surprising that the press is completely one-sided, since there's only one side arguing the case now.

Hopefully, if we in the UK can get our act together, we can stop this from getting approved: I don't think this patent is very strong, particularly for the above reason.

I agree.  How can we help stop this?  If no-one beats me to it, I'll
ask UKPTO/IPO.  Ironically, I know more about the European PO and
USPTO than how the UK system works.

Well, the next step is to ensure that UKIPO appeal the decision to the appeals court, and somehow try to make sure that their appeal is upheld. FFII-UK is in the process of getting its act together, so I suggest that they are the people to lead on this, but there is definitely going to be a man-power issue.

To what extent outsiders can get involved in the appeal I don't know, and obviously it's not something you can particularly lobby :/