Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:34:13 +0000

On 07/01/2008, Jon Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Noah,
>
> On 07/01/2008, Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 04:40:02PM +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > > In 2008, SVG is cool for static vector art and simple animations, but
> > > for the kind of complex media formats Flash is used for? No way.
> >
> > Where, specifically, does SVG & EMCA Script fall short?
>
> Lack of Audio and Video?

An friend of mine who worked on some SVG project writes:

"I love SVG and with other standard technology like ECMAscript, it can do
some very powerful things. However its no Flash. Even the guys at Joost
had to use XUL and some weird Video hacking to get everything to work
smoothly together like Flash.

A non-flash player using SVG, XHTML, DOM, etc is worth developing but so
is Gnash. Tackling the problem form both ends, makes sense."

> Take a look at this Bejewled game for an
> example of what AJAX can do: http://static.popcap.com/iphone/

Tasty but not Affero GPL :-(

--
Regards,