[Fsfe-uk] Should the FSFE (or related communities) get involved in a TV

From: Andy
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Should the FSFE (or related communities) get involved in a TV VoD system?
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:37:14 +0000

I'm sure many people have heard of the BBC's proprietary, Windows Only
Video On Demand service.

Although the FSFE don't consider this the least bit of a problem (and
appear to have done nothing what-so-ever about it) it could severely
damage uptake of GNU/Linux systems, or any other free software for
that matter.

Well the FSFE (and FSF) appear to have another opportunity to act, the
BBC, Channel 4 and ITV (who make up 80% of the terrestrial channels in
the UK) are making another player,
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/nov/27/bbc.itv?gusrc=rss&feed=technology>
.

Does the FSFE intend to stand up for User Freedom this time around?
Any chance they could involve themselves in the actual development,
could we not rustle up a few developers from somewhere?

Maybe we could at least get them to use an Open Standard so we could
develop our own Free Software implementation?

Andy

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath