Re: [Fsfe-uk] Something to Digg

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Something to Digg
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:57:33 +0100

On Thursday 11 October 2007 19:34, Alex Hudson wrote:
> I also wrote to Andrew Miller MP regarding "Open Source XML", which
> turns out to be a Microsoft standard:

I don't think that he meant <open source XML>, but <open source><XML>,
ie "XML, which is, by the way, open source", particularly taken with his next
sentence, and indeed his next comment.

But this does raise the issue of smash-and-grab raids by companies or other
entities on buzzwords which are gaining mindshare, and their appropriation of
these terms to mean something completely different from what they really
mean.  This helps to muddy the waters - "of course it's open - anyone can use
it!"  I don't see what can be done on this, short of trademarking such terms.
Even "free software" is in the same boat - "of course it's free software -
we're letting users download it for nothing!"

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - KDE yn Gymraeg