Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Chris Lale
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:14:44 +0100

Nick Hill wrote:
> I have only been told once about this, so it is not safe to assume
> everybody knows. Tell your friends, and ask them to pass on the message.
>
> BBC is releasing an iplayer only for Microsoft Windows, giving windows
> users access to BBC content unavailable to users of other operating
> systems.
>
> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted
>
> An on-line petition currently with 13,722 signatories:
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/iplayer/

Encouraging response from the PM's Office [1] to the petition (now closed):

"The BBC Trust made it a condition [...] that the iPlayer is available to users
of a range of operating systems, and [...] will ensure that the BBC meets this
demand as soon as possible. They will measure the BBC's progress on this every
six months and publish the findings."

Not sure where the findings will be published though.

[1] http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/iplayer/

--
Chris.