[Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring

From: Neil Darlow
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Open Standards-based DVD Authoring
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:43:08 +0000

Hi,

I am soliciting list members for knowledge of any open standards-based
DVD authoring projects.

>From what I've seen, tools like Kino are capable of exporting video and
audio to Theora and Vorbis formats but are there any efforts to engineer
a DVD authoring application using Ogg/Theora/Vorbis as a final format?

I only have experience of dvdauthor and DVDStyler which transform video
and audio into MPEG streams for compatibility with commercial DVD
players. As non-royalty-paying *NIX users I feel we are vulnerable to
litigation for playing MPEG-based DVDs on our systems.

Isn't it about time we had an open standards-based authoring/playing
tool-chain (with full support for menus) so we can coerce hardware
manufacturers into adding support for open formats into their products?

If there really is nothing available in this area, I would be willing to
start a project to realise a solution. Whether this would entail getting
the xine/mplayer/dvdauthor/vlc people involved or write, from scratch,
fresh software, I don't yet know.

Suggestions, and opinions, are welcome.

Regards,
Neil Darlow