Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC, DRM & MS [was Fw: [sf-uk-discuss] Ooh it makes me mad

From: Chris Lale
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC, DRM & MS [was Fw: [sf-uk-discuss] Ooh it makes me mad...]
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:28:20 +0000

Richard Smedley wrote:
Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:53:53 +0000
From: "Chris Puttick" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: [sf-uk-discuss] Ooh it makes me mad...

That they are even considering this one:

Question from the BBC survey regarding public value and proposed new
Internet services:

"How important is it that the proposed seven-day catch-up service over
the internet is available to consumers who are not using Microsoft
software?"

To send your answer to this question, go here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consult/open-consultations/ondemand_services.html

Do circulate the existence of such a question from a publicly funded
body - anyone got Slashdot connections? I just know we have Register
connections. Anywhere else would be good too...

Grrr.

Chris

Thanks. This are my replies to the question and question 12 in case anyone finds them useful starting points.

It is very important that non-Microsoft customers should be able to use the catch-up service over the internet, especially since the BBC is a public service. The BBC should not require any of its licence payers (or anyone else) to pay a third party corporation (eg Microsoft) in order to receive its content. This would be equivalent to saying that you are only allowed to receive World Service broadcasts on a radio produced by particular manufacturer.

*Question 12*
Are there any other issues you would like the BBC Trust to consider in relation to the proposed services?

Please consider the development and use of Free/Open Source software as an important aspect of maintaining the BBC's independence.

--
Chris.