Re: [Fsfe-uk] FSFE releases solution to increase legal strength of Free

From: Shane M. Coughlan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] FSFE releases solution to increase legal strength of Free Software projects
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:42:23 +0100

Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> On Friday 02 February 2007 13:54, Shane M. Coughlan wrote:
>> The FLA should provide an excellent solution for smaller projects that
>> are looking for a way to ensure copyright coherency.
>
> OK.  I was just basing my view on
> http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/ftf/guidelines.en.html
> where "yet another email system" created as a "purely fun project" would
> score
> low - I assumed this was in order not to swamp the FSFE with piddling things.

It's true that FSFE would not accept every project into its fiduciary
programme.  However, the FLA can also be customised to allow people to
assign copyright to another body.  For instance, small ProjectX can
assign copyright to ProjectX Committee, allowing this project to become
more coherent in terms of copyright.

Loads more information right here:
http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/fla/

> It's certainly a very good idea, since it gives a bit more "bottom" to the
> legal side of things.

That's the idea :)  Indeed, ideally projects will be able to use the FLA
without much hassle, allowing them to get the kind of coherency and
security normally available to big entities.

Regards

Shane

--
Shane Coughlan