Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software & The ICT Hub

From: Simon Morris
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software & The ICT Hub
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 09:56:33 +0100

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 02:22 +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
> Ahoy,

> I think it would be worth picking up the weird allegation about the
> size of
> RTF files versus DOCs. I always thought it was the reverse - bloaty
> DOC files
> taking forever to download for a bit of thin formatting! What is this
> "one
> user's experience"? The whole paragraph comes across as a bit of fluff
> written on Slashdot, which is unfortunate because the rest of the
> article is
> informal but at least more informative.
>
> A suggested rewrite of the format bit, which is longer but I hope a
> bit
> clearer. The mention of PDFs is also not necessarily on message ;-)

Thanks Tom,

I agree your version is a lot clearer.

I've merged that paragraph in but dropped your use of the words "first"
and "Secondly" as it conflicted with my use of those counters :)

What is the status of PDF as an official open format for documents? I
believe it was one of the approved formats.

http://beerandspeech.org/fsfe/Letter_to_ICT_Hub_rev2.txt

Thanks

~sm