Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: GNU Business Network Definition

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: GNU Business Network Definition
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:26:34 +0100

> And note that I said "Fanaticism ... puts off more people than it
> encourages".  Most companies probably can live with the GPL, but the
> sort of fanaticism which says "if you don't do everything our way you
> are One Of Them and not One Of Us" will put them right off.

We have to get people from A to B and for some the gap is currently too
big. Eat the elephant a bite at a time. If you can get by with 100%
FLOSS fine, but understand that some other people probably can't for
practical reasons. I'm 100% behind a shift to FLOSS but in the business
I'm in, it's not realistic to say I will never ever use stuff that isn't
FLOSS. Better that I provide strategies for people to make the
transition rather than veto any contact with anyone that is still using
proprietary licensed stuff.

So Chris, I agree with you but I would use the term idealism rather than
fanaticism. Machiavelli did have some good points ;-)
--
Ian Lynch
www.theINGOTs.org