Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [uk-parl] EC Information Technology "Task Force" - swp

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [uk-parl] EC Information Technology "Task Force" - swpat again?
Date: 09 Jun 2006 15:35:48 +0100

Pete Chown <address@hidden> writes:
> These days, new
> techniques are likely to be patented in all markets simultaneously.
> This means that patents in Britain provide the same advantage to
> Britain's competitors as to Britain's own companies.

This was one of our many arguments against software patents, but even all
our arguments together were not enough to convince our EU representatives
(Parliament plus Commission plus Council) that software should be clearly
excluded from the patent system.

We can win, but being right is not enough.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan __________________ \ http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \  GPLv3 and other work supported by