Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software Patents

From: James Heald
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software Patents
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:29:04 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:

Hi Simon,

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 05:20 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

| - If the Directive is sent back, rather than restarted, it will be in
| the 2nd reading. *However*, new amendments may still be tabled, so
there
| is still hope!

Silly question - but is there a way directives can simply fail/be
defeated?

http://www.softwarepatents.co.uk/current/

(The main graph is the 'longest route'; at any time we could go down a
dotted line instead)

Once it gets to the 2nd Parliament reading (assuming they don't restart
the process), any institution from that point onward can vote to accept,
amend or reject the directive.
To be honest, we probably don't want the directive to fail. As bad as
the EU process is, we do at least have representatives in the process.
If they decide to bin it and go for an intra-governmental trade
negotiation (or similar), it will just happen and we will have zero
input.

The calculation I think of the whole of FFII, and also Florian Mueller, is that the present Council text is much worse than no directive at all.

As we understand it, the Council text would roll out the current EPO behaviour across Europe; and would also tend to make decisions in one country much more indicative across the whole EU, making enforecement decisions much more powerful.

Even in the UK at the moment, the scope of patentable subject matter is to some extent limited, as Steve Probert has been describing on the uk-parl list, as a result of the "Gale's Application" case.

Those limitations are not written into the Directive, and the presumption is that they would soon be swept away by an early decision of the European Court of Justice.

So on balance, we would see the present Council text as significantly worse than no text at all; and for example the German Green party has already announced that if the present text goes to second reading, its preferred option would be to kill the text outright, rather than even try to amend it.

Going the inter-governmental route presumably means amending the European Patent Convention. This was tried in 2000, but failed due to a political backlash in Germany and France. It takes (I think) 75% of countries to vote in favour, and it is not clear that this would be possible to achieve.

I read several descriptions of the process, and it seemed the worst
that ever happens is it go back for some sort of negoiation process
between parliament and council, or is this the "diplomatic" way of
burying bad legislation?

I don't know how often they fail, but it's not often - I think it takes
an absolute majority vote of whichever institution it is to take a
'dotted line' shortcut. Conciliation is supposed to be a good attempt at
finding a text which is acceptable to both parties, and generally works
- conciliated text is very rarely dropped. So, in fact, instead of being
buried, the directive would be even more likely to succeed.

The parliament gets an opportunity to vote down the text outright, at each reading.

The commission also has the right to take its ball away, if it comes to that, whenever it likes.