Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Brian White's parliamentary questions

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Brian White's parliamentary questions
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:47:01 +0000

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:52:54PM +0000, John Seago wrote:

> From previous experience in another sphere of activity, I seem to recall
> that almost any MP can be 'sponsored', by almost any interest group, to
> varying degrees, from providing them with background information and
> research on subjects in which they have an interest, to providing funding
> for their own researchers.

I gather that financial sponsorship does get logged, though, would this
actually help if he is seen as a spokesman for a pressure group, or
might it make others ignore him because he is sponsored?  It could go
either way.  Doing or providing background research, which wouldn't
attach the AFFS to him visibly, wouldn't have the effect either way.  I
expect that he would have opinion on the best way to do it.

> The approach would have to come from the Association, perhaps offering to
> meet to discuss what form the 'sponsorship' would take, or a
> straightforward offer of background research when he/she needs it. Try it
> and see, at the very least it may serve to increase awareness of the
> AFFS's existence!  (Should that be AFFS's or AFFS'?)

AFFS's as the possessive, according to Fowler.  The plural could be
AFFSs or AFFS's, but the latter is deprecated.

Chris C