[Fsfe-uk] A replay of Netscape vs. IE? -- but with a privacy risk

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] A replay of Netscape vs. IE? -- but with a privacy risk
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:12:56 +0100

Search wars hit desktop computers

BBC News Online
Tuesday, 26 October, 2004, 08:01 GMT 09:01 UK

Another front in the on-going battle between Microsoft and Google is about to
be opened.

By the end of 2004 Microsoft aims to launch search software to find any kind
of file on a PC hard drive.

The move is in answer to Google's release of its own search tool that
catalogues data on desktop PCs.

The desktop search market is becoming increasingly crowded as Google, AOL,
Yahoo and many smaller firms tout programs that help people find files.

<SNIP>

--

==============

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our
nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace
and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html