Re: [Fsfe-uk] ReplaceFlash, was: BBC digital curriculum service in Engla

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] ReplaceFlash, was: BBC digital curriculum service in England
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:09:17 +0100

On Thursday 14 October 2004 11:13 pm, Lee Braiden wrote:
> Just spotted this blog entry by a KDE Developer, which seems particularly
> timely and interesting :D

Indeed.  There are also some interesting comments on Flash4Linux by Eric
Laffoon at http://dot.kde.org/1097981481/ - to summarise, they did make
contact with the Turkish author, and considered putting it into the KDE tree,
but there were questions over the interface design and the ongoing commitment
of the author.  (For what it's worth, it wouldn't compile for me either...)
I take the points that have been made about whether or not we should be
trying to emulate Flash, or create something better using existing standards,
but I think there is a consensus that the first goal should at least be Flash
equivalence, however that is achieved.  As Mark and Ian say, this may be a
good target for grants - the page I quoted shows that a very good app
(Quanta) has been developed on the basis of relatively little money.  If we
want to move this forward, would it be a good idea to contact Eric and get
any views he might have on possible ways of tackling this?

--

Pob hwyl (Best wishes)

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg