Re: [Fsfe-uk] Odeon in "working website" shock

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Odeon in "working website" shock
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:48:39 +0100

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 18:14 +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
> From what I can see you can pull up the film times in their accessible
> section, but you can't book online.

Yeah, that's right :o/

> I can use their booking system perfectly well in Konqueror, which is a
> reasonably good sign.

Hmm, doesn't work at all in Gecko-derivatives; the Javascript fails on
this line:

        eval(doc + c2 + c[i] + stylo + '.visibility = "visible"');

... where some of the variables are undefined and the eval() fails.
Really, they should be using DOM functions - they're supporting in all
major browsers.

Interesting that it works in Konq. I think it's probably something to do
with the if (document.layers) / if (document.all) tests at the top of
the file that fails - these are IEisms, and other browsers emulate them
to varying degrees. IIRC, Mozilla takes the stance that if you test for
document.all it will be there, but I think this is a new feature, so it
may be that my version isn't up-to-date enough (see Moz bug #248549).

> Anyhow, it might be a good opportunity for a press release & open letter
> congratulating them on the accessible web site, and the relatively standards
> compliant main web site (given that Konqi can load it), and encouraging them
> to go further to make their entire web site fully web standards compliant (if
> it isn't already -- it does use javascript in pointless ways, but anyway this
> needs checking), as well as offering accessible web booking (if this is
> possible?)

To be honest, this isn't really big news - there site has changed very
little, they've just added some text pages, which I think isn't really
addressing the problem. The Javascript hasn't changed since last time I
looked; so they haven't really addressed the problem at all.

They are not standards compliant yet (look at the source of their
accessibility page; it's hilarious if you know HTML). Also rather
telling that their text service has been "designed for [..] Bobby
[..]" (i.e., "we did all we needed to in order to get it to pass some
simplistic validation suite").

I think they would still make a good OIP target, actually - on first
glance, their site was better than it appears to be now I've looked
harder :(