Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC digital curriculum service in England

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC digital curriculum service in England
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:42:33 +0100

On 2004-10-12 14:52:06 +0100 Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:

The problem we really have here is that there isn't really a good
alternative to Flash. There is scripted SVG, but that has few authoring
tools, would be difficult to create content in and would be limited in
terms of sound and video. It's also not terribly well supported by free
software. Mostly ditto SMIL and/or MPEG.

Alex, I know you're busy, but you seem to have a wealth of knowledge about this field, both Flash and Java, which I'd describe as "the browser plugins problem". Can you take a brain dump onto your wiki and then list subscribers can try to update it sensibly as this conversation develops?

Eventually, could this be a good item for the sometimes-discussed AFFS info-sheets? I've seen a few things about this topic in the past, but I still deal with straight xhtml/CSS/CGI work, so I've not bookmarked them. I could probably find them again for this.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Speaking at ESF on Sat 16 Oct - http://www.affs.org.uk/