Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux for Kids Briefing

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux for Kids Briefing
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:21:35 +0100

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 09:48, PFJ wrote:

> If the lock was fundamentally broken so that if someone (say) turns the
> handle the wrong way (which effectively is all that my son did), then a
> parent would have the right to say "you brought in on yourself as it's
> well known that that type of lock is rubbish and how is a 6 year to know
> the problem".

Better to point it out though as a possible problem than actually
trashing the office to prove it ;-)

> > The way you have written this makes it look like it was a deliberate
> > act. If it was a complete fluke or accident, there might be some
> > justification.
>
> I restrict the websites Richard can see (basically CBBC/CBeebies and
> Nickjr), he cannot understand the books on my bookshelves which leads to
> two conclusions, fluke (though it was W2K last year and W2003 this, so
> the fluke element should have been fixed) and accident.

I'm assuming this was from home in which case they do have a securty
issue. Most primary schools though do not have the resources to fix
these. Since you can protect Windows 2000/03 servers from this type of
vulnerability my solution would be to fix it for them and get them on
your side. Then later when you tell them at the next upgrade why it
would be better to use a Linux server, they are more likely to listen.

--
Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
ZMS Ltd