Re: [Fsfe-uk] Three things to do on Thursday 10 June: MEP, BBC, PR

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Three things to do on Thursday 10 June: MEP, BBC, PR
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:33:48 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:

1. Vote in the MEP elections. Basically, if you are against swpat or more copyright enforcement measures, you shouldn't vote Labour, Conservative or maybe Liberal Democrat. Instead, consider Green, UKIP, Respect, SNP, Plaid Cymru, who oppose swpat for various reasons. Look at independents and other parties on each case. As much detail as I can offer is on http://mjr.towers.org.uk/proj/eurovote/

With the increases in the local elections that in particular Green, UKIP and Plaid Cymru have achieved, I believe those parties will pick up a lot more seats for the EP. It will be exiting to watch on Sunday. Here in the West-Midlands, I believe min. 1-2 seats might change from Labour/Conservatives to LibDem, Green and/or UKIP. If the Conservative should loose 2 seats which is absolutely in the realm of the possible, Malcolm Harbour MEP (Con) should loose his seat. I believe that would be great news.

However, in any case, our work has to go on. With this changes of seats opportunities especially with some LibDem might arise to convince them to be more pro-open source. And who knows, maybe labour will start to understand that they could get important votes back if they start to change their stands towards swpat and DRM.

The important thing will be to consitently stay on the issue and to win people over. It is not only the election, now it is important to use the bounce .....

Ralph Janke