Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC and the Dirac codec

From: Paul Tansom
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC and the Dirac codec
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:43:45 +0100

** Nick <address@hidden> [2004-05-31 14:36]:
<snip>
> It is sad the BBC felt they need to patent ideas in Dirac to protect
> Dirac from attack. The BBC has avoided ideas which may be covered by
> other patents in the implementation of Dirac.
>
> I understand from the developers the BBC's patents over Dirac are
> licensed for use in free software implementations of Dirac through the MPL.
<snip>
** end quote [Nick]

Well being generous to the BBC (which in itself is a bit odd for me
given that I have been trying to get a response out of them to fix a
feature of their news site for 4 months plus now - right down to sending
them the fix) and being cynical towards the rest of the world - it is
probably to stop anyone else patenting the technology and restricting
its use, 'cause we all know how well managed the whole system is ;-)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/