Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC and the Dirac codec

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC and the Dirac codec
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:41:19 +0100

Hi,

On 31 May 2004, at 16:19, P.L.Hayes wrote:

<Conspiracy theory>

Oh please! ;-)

Kingswood Warren Ventures which has access to IPR from the source of many of
the world’s most advanced broadcast technology developments.

Kingswood Warren is where it was developed - actually, BBC R&D: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/

Perhaps BBC Technology Ltd. owns them.

Nothing to do with BBC Technology Ltd.

Is the BBC protecting Dirac from attack by corporate monopolists or is it instead trying to protect corporate investment in Dirac from possible future
devaluation by people like those who are now creating it?

I think this is pretty clearly an example of the BBC protecting the codec for the public interest.

(My [informed] view only. We're probably all completely wrong.)

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/