[Fsfe-uk] Re: [Free-sklyarov-uk] The BBC again

From: Peter Clay
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [Free-sklyarov-uk] The BBC again
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 04:00:08 -0000

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Tom Chance wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The BBC have done it again, giving undue coverage to one side of a debate:

They've posted a public statement by MEPs. The large quote marks and the
use of the first person plural make pretty clear that this is a verbatim
report of what someone else has said.

We should assume that the BBC is acting in good faith and is just
attempting to be nonbiased by publishing statements from both parties. In
that case, the way forward is to publish more interesting and timely press
releases of our own, and encourage the BBC to print them. In fact, this is
what you say later on:

> I know we've complained to the BBC before, but perhaps if we offer an article
> presenting our side, rather than simple complaints, we might get somewhere?

... with which I agree 100%. Accusing the press of bias should be a last
resort.

> I would send such an e-mail myself, offering to write the article myself, but
> I don't think I'd have much impact, as they'd have no reason to take me for
> any more than a random angry young man. But If someone with an e-mail address
> that gave them a definite association with an organisation "on the other
> side" e-mailed them, maybe it might work?

You've just raised in passing the issue of who gets to be an official CDR
representative. It would be good to have a discussion about this here.

If _anyone_ wants something sent in with official CDR imprimateur, post it
here and we'll see what we can do.

Pete
--
Peter Clay                                         | Campaign for   _  _| .__
                                                   | Digital       /  / | |