Re: [Fsfe-uk] free software and local authorities

From: P.L.Hayes
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] free software and local authorities
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:02:32 +0100

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 16:22, Andres Baravalle wrote:
> Any suggestions or comments

Have you considered targeting particular services within local authorities
e.g. public libraries? It turns my stomach every time I go into the local
library and see all the money they're wasting on proprietary software just to
enable web browsing and word processing. I read this:
http://www.newsforge.com/os/04/05/03/1520209.shtml recently so it can't be
all that difficult to migrate and librarians are more likely to be open to
discussing the possibilities, opportunities and issues than Councillor X, I
would think.

I recently corresponded with the charity www.computer-aid.org and they are
already migrating to FLOSS (internally as well as on the PCs they ship to
developing countries).

Regards,

Paul.