Re: [Fsfe-uk] address@hidden: JISC DRM Workshop - Manchester Friday 14th

From: Jim Peters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] address@hidden: JISC DRM Workshop - Manchester Friday 14th May]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:04:18 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
> I think so, although people normally mean "Digital Rights
> *Restrictions by Technology*" (DRRT, pronounced "dirt") rather than
> rights management when they write DRM. Here, they explicitly say they
> want to cover all of it. Things like the Copyright headers in package
> files or archive sections of some GNU-Linux distributions are probably
> also really forms of DRM, making licensing easier to manage.

Interesting point.  But you're right that DRM == dirt for many people.
Perhaps trying to include informational licence tagging in the same
category only confuses the discussion, especially as the people who
came up with the DRM acronym were probably thinking more about
technical restrictions.

There again, if JISC want a full discussion, perhaps it is useful to
separate the concept of technical restrictions from the concept of
providing machine-readable licence information (i.e. separate
automated licence enforcement from automated licence notification).

> >The Digital Rights Management Study (DRM)  is part of the JISC's
> >"Middleware and Shared Services Studies" programme
> > http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=prog_middss_studies
> >There is JISC mailing list to receive information:
> > http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/JISC-DRM.html
> >The project website is
> > http://www.intrallect.com/drm-study/index.htm
>
> Will someone please monitor these and tell AFFS about it? Jim, would
> you?

Sorry, no -- I don't have time for that.

Jim

--
 Jim Peters                  (_)/=\~/_(_)                 address@hidden

 SBaGen: binaural beats for brainwave entrainment:  http://uazu.net/SB