[Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo

From: Tom Chance
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:23:24 +0100

Hello all,

Sorry for cross-posting but it concerns all three orgs.

Having roamed around between the three different campaigning organisations in
the expo, I've a few thoughts. In general, I thought the .ORG village was
pretty awful; there wasn't enough space, it didn't look inviting at all, and,
whereas with the Debian booth it was clear when a passer-by was interested in
your wares, for us it was impossible.

I appreciate that the event is first and foremost a trade show, and that we
should be thankful we get any space at all. But I've been thinking of how to
improve how we use this.

Since the UKCDR, AFFS and FFII are all interested in similar things (the UKCDR
and FFII in particular), would it not make sense to club together for one
"campaigns" stall, similar to the Debian booth, where we could have more
space, and be further than 10cm away from competing stalls. Would we be able
to get something like Debian had last week, at future expos?

I think it'd be better if we had one big stall, selling the usual wares,
giving away the usual info, as well as pushing one or two specific things
people can do then and there... e.g. sign up to a mailing list, sign a
petition, write a letter. It might then be a little more productive.

Regards,
Tom