Re: [Fsfe-uk] European Parliament:OSS & enforcement directive (from fsfe

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] European Parliament:OSS & enforcement directive (from fsfe-ie)
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:08:07 +0000

On 2004-02-29 21:29:50 +0000 James Heald <address@hidden> wrote:

Anyone from AFFS feel like stepping up to the plate ?

Here's my first draft. Please mangle as appropriate to get something sensible and I'll try to incorporate changes:-

We believe this directive will harm free software creation in EU member states. Please consider the points below and reject this proposed directive until it addresses them properly. We encourage you to consult the European organisations the Campaign for an Open Digital Environment (CODE, who are holding an event in Strasbourg on 8 March), the Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII) and the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFEurope).

1. No support for interoperability:

Some supporters claim that the directive supports interoperatibility and free software, but their own statements do not agree with that view. They admit that this proposed directive does nothing to build on existing reverse engineering rights. It merely doesn't reduce existing rights, which isn't really active support.

2. Misunderstanding of effects on free software development:

Supporters also claim "enforcement of IPRs is good for OSS developers just as it is for commercial software developers" (Mme Fourtou, JURI rapporteur). We are worried to see Open Source Software (a longer definition roughly equivalent to free software) used as an opposite to commercial. This shows a lack of understanding of the field and suggests their opinion about effects on software may not be valid. Commercial developers of free software are vital to this sector of the economy in member states. While we welcome those developers being able to enforce their licences, we feel that free software developers are left vulnerable and disadvantaged by this directive.

3. Damage to customer relationships:

Many free software development businesses depend on their relationships with their clients. The powers to demand disclosure of extensive commercial and personal information before a case is heard will weaken those relationships and harm the business sector.

4. Insufficient safeguards:

The safeguards are insufficient to prevent abuse. When a corporation is defending against a spurious allegation, it may find itself wound up before any of the post-case compensation is available to it, because of the ability to seize assets and prevent activities essential to business operation before a defence is heard, let alone disproven. The ability to hear a preliminary case swiftly seems far better than acting as if the defendant is guilty when an allegation is made.

5. Applies to private individuals:

We also feel that the omission of the term "on a commercial scale" from key parts of this directive disadvantages private individuals developing free software by exposing them to articles 7.1, 8 and 10a. Use of those provisions against individuals is likely to see many abandon free software development and this will harm the not-for-profit sector disproportionately. The not-for-profit sector was not the original target of this directive.

The most effective safeguard for both the not-for-profit sector and legitimate commerce would be to restrict the directive to its original scope of commercially organised recklessly intentional copyright and trademark infringement.

6. Further consultation required:

On correcting this directive, we agree with the House of Lords European Scrutiny Committee E that a broader range of stakeholders should be consulted on the likely effects. The current proposed directive aims to replicate the highest level of protection for any case in any member state, without regard to the harm caused to competition (for corporations) or human rights (for private individuals).

7. Need to split IPR into constituent topics:

It seems impossible to have a single good directive harmonising all of the diverse laws usually grouped under "Intellectual Property Rights". Each field of copyright, patenting, trademarks, designs and trade secrets should be analysed and dealt with individually. It appears likely that only some of those fields have significant discrepencies between member states and different corrective measures will be appropriate for each.

We regret that this response is not as detailed as we would like, but the draft text was only published on 17 February and many EU free software developers were occupied with the Free and Open Source Developers Meeting (FOSDEM) in Brussels.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden