[Fsfe-uk] Newham: Richard Steel speaks (Techworld)

From: James Heald
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Newham: Richard Steel speaks (Techworld)
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:30:24 +0000

Kieran McCarthy, who often writes for the Register, has serveral quotes from Richard Steel, the head of ICT at Newham, in this piece at Techworld:

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=displaynews&NewsID=916

Extract:

“Linux is going to have increasing market share in the next few years but it is still immature and for us it was not an acceptable migration.” The audit of Newham’s systems revealed what Steel already suspected: “It has been a very piecemeal investment, project-based developments and not planned investments, so we have loads of different versions of software and we want to move to a position where it can be sustained, a known situation with a revenue commitment and regular technology refresh.”

The budget for new IT systems had come in small chunks over a long period of time and it was beginning to get expensive to run. Before the OGC came up with its pilots, Newham was already looking at open source as a way of reducing costs, Steel says. The pilot scheme however gave a valuable opportunity to stand back and review the entire infrastructure. “We found out we were already running 16 open source systems,” he explains, “but our core infrastructure was e-mail and desktops.”

If Newham decided to go completely open source, it would have to upgrade its existing infrastructure and that would prove too expensive. This point, when explained to one journalist, appeared in print as the main reason why Newham had decided to go with Microsoft.

“Newham Borough Council has shelved its Linux desktop trials and will remain with Microsoft, citing the cost of upgrading its Microsoft Exchange Server software as a primary cause,” read the first paragraph. But Steel claims his colleague was misquoted and that the reasons were far more complex.

“Open source was there, okay, software like OpenOffice is very similar but when it comes to bringing macros forward, you can’t, you have to redevelop it. Plus, we have lots of programs that are integrated with other products and with suppliers. If we change, in many cases they will have to change their products - that can make things very tricky.”

And there remains the classic case of “look and feel”. “People are quite sensitive to small changes,” says Steel, foreseeing months of phone calls from council workers trying to familiarise themselves with the basics of a new operating system. There also remain some areas that open source simply hasn’t provided the software for yet. When you add all these things together, he says, open source starts to look less promising. “In the past, we have done the trailblazing, now maybe it’s time to let someone else take the risks.”

“We made what we believe to be the best decision, the most pragmatic.” No matter which way you look at it, it is hard to disagree with that statement, no matter how the Linux conspiracy theorists would like to.