Re: [Fsfe-uk] Gnu/Linux and freedom (was Linux in Thailand.)

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Gnu/Linux and freedom (was Linux in Thailand.)
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 03:54:35 +0000

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 00:33, Chris Croughton wrote:

>  (being paranoid)
(So that's where the tinfoil hat comes from. You are exist with
paranoia! Give up being part of the criminal plot to just make money out
of software and there will be a peaceful world)

> However, you have missed my point.
huh? Just look at the subject line.. I can not be able to track who
changed it, where, for what, did it go offlist and come back on....
I see no point just constant technical talk that is giveing me a
headache.

>  I do not claim that no proprietary
> software tries (and succeeds) to lock in the customers.  What I object
> to is the claim that /all/ proprietary software does this,

Come on. All prorietary software suck because they are non-free.
By that what is meant is they do not respect our freedoms.
They lock what you consider customers and what I consider people with
big fat chains and enormous padlocks.
Is this what you are reffering to as a lock in? I hope so.
This is a grave matter of uttermost importance.

Please read up and understand why or ask here. This is why this list is
here for.

If you really like a piece of software and want to see it supported by
people who respect freedoms than I suggest you consider constructive
directions like the one pointed via a question by Kevin Donnely
somewhere upstream (under the original subject to the tune BECTA sucks).
(Maybe it went offlist but I will like to know more.)

> and that the
> only way to avoid it is to buy 'free' (or open at least) software.  That
> latter claim is not true.

In this list we only want to promote free software.
If it is to encourage buying free software then well and good.
To claim free software is not good to be sold/bought you must make your
point clearly. I suggest you start a new thread and put forward your
point clearly.
I love free software for the freedoms it gives me.
Even the changed subject line above has the word freedom in it but your
argument so far does not seem to respect freedoms.

Sincerely,

Ramanan