Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?

From: Mark Preston
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:46:01 +0100

Hi all,
It may well be that VB programmers produce a lot of free, as in unlicensed,
public domain type software, but whether it can be described as completely free code is debatable.

OSS projects generally prefer Linux or BSD because it has been observed in practice (*eg Welsh **PHLS*, reported at NHS session *OSHCA* 2001, London)
http://www.*oshca*.org/docs/Open_Source-Henry_Ray.pdf
<http://www.oshca.org/docs/Open_Source-Henry_Ray.pdf>
that the efforts of disentangling proprietary licensing of components supplied as part of Windows programming languages is large and may form more of the work than writing the software. This has been called a problem of "defenestration". With a GPL OS this is not an issue. I am involved in a project that uses a remastered Knoppix CD and relies entirely on FLOSS based software.
Sometimes it is not so obvious how free/open source solutions differ from
closed-source software, but it is crystal-clear that a product such as this
would not have been possible if we relied on close-source
alternatives. Can you imagine negotiating a licence from Microsoft to
remaster a bootable Windows-based CD?
Regards,
Mark Preston