Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:55:28 +0000

Hi Ian

On Saturday 03 January 2004 11:11 am, ian wrote:
I very much enjoy reading your posts, since they are based on your experience
of actually running a business on free software, and interfacing with
realworld users.

> The best way to do this would be for someone to capture the imagination
> of say half a dozen Chief Education Officers and get the ball rolling.

I think the big problem with all "official" bodies is that they are very
risk-averse (for good reasons - nobody wants to get a drilling in front of
the PAC or equivalent for "wasting taxpayers' money").  So they will tend to
go for something that "everybody else is using".  Unfortunately, they may not
believe that free software is here to stay, and that it really does offer all
the benefits it promises.  I had a fairly senior individual say to me that he
was suspicious of committing to OpenOffice.org - wasn't it just a ploy by Sun
to gain marketshare, and wouldn't they make it proprietary again once they'd
reached their target (whatever that was) for marketshare?  My reply about the
licence being irretrievable didn't really convince him.

From his point of view, having experienced the IT industry's way of doing
things up until now, this is in fact a valid concern, even if misplaced.  I
wonder whether some sort of file of case-studies could be built up, perhaps
under the AFFS' auspices, to try and persuade decision-makers like him that
even though evrybody may not be using free software (yet), at least a few are
using it effectively?  This might also help to get your ball rolling on
getting people to take the plunge with a SIMS system.

--

Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg