Re: [Fsfe-uk] Microsoft, Sun & NHS

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Microsoft, Sun & NHS
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:39:36 +0000

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 10:15, Tom Coady wrote:
> At least there is a glimmer of hope here, not that I'd put money on though:
> http://www.silicon.com/hardware/desktops/0,39024645,39117233,00.htm
> Sounds suspiciously like an opening salvo for negotiation. Becta might
> learn from this strategy, and might learn more about FLOSS in the process.

The NHS got a lot of criticism for signing a 3 year deal with MS without
tendering and therefore putting MS in the position of knowing there was
no serious competition. So this might be the start of tactics to get the
price down for the next negotiation in 2 years time. Sun are quoting $50
per desktop - around £30. Microsoft Schools Agreement is not much more
but that doesn't take into account the cost of OEM windows on new
machines. So the worst case scenario is NHS sticking with MS but MS
making a lot less money from us, the best is to ditch Windows and MS
Office for Linux and Star Office. To me either is progress so this is
good news.

--
ian <address@hidden>