Re: [Fsfe-uk] [ALUG] Microsoft and schools (fwd)

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [ALUG] Microsoft and schools (fwd)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:36:24 +0000

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 17:23, Tom Coady wrote:
> Kevin Donnelly said the following on 05/12/2003 15:47:
>
> >Interestingly, none of these reports say what the licenses will actually
> >cost,
> >but major on the "savings" ....
> >

> According to http://www.becta.org.uk/corporate/press_out.cfm?id=3099
>
> *What are the actual levels of discount I should now expect to receive?*
>
> Between 20% and 37% compared with April 03 pricing.
>
> So I guess that means they are "only" paying 63-80% of the list prices.

It will not cover all things. I should think the reality is that OEM
Windows and MS Office are by far the biggest revenue generators. I bet
OEM windows has been mysteriously ignored in the equation as it would be
very difficult for M$ to discount this selectively for schools. Upgrades
might be cheaper but what proportion of Windows machines ever get an OS
upgrade on the same hardware? I'd say not even 30%. Then there is Office
- OK that could get its price chopped or maybe they just offer schools
Office Pro for the price of Office Premium or something. Licensing is
complicated and just like TCO you can selectively present just about
anything as anything. Its in all the presenters interests to show
massive savings. MS (aren't we generous) BECTA (aren't we wonderful for
saving all this taxpayers money) I bet the reality in savings are
nowhere near the hype in practise but we shall see.

--
ian <address@hidden>